Marriage Certificate

Get your marriage registered and marriage certificate as proof of your marriage.

Trusted By

5 Lakh++ loving customers

India’s most trusted legal documentation portal.

According to the guidelines of the Law Commission of India, the government of India needs to make it compulsory for all to register their marriage. The diversity of religions in the country made the whole process to register a marriage a bit complex. The details mentioned here will make it easy for you to understand the whole process of marriage registration for different religions.

Many may have a question in mind that when their marriage has been concluded with the tradition of their religion then why marriage certificate is required? The religious marriage ceremonies are legal in India and the couple will be considered as husband and wife after a religious wedding ceremony. A marriage certificate is a conclusive proof of marriage hence in all the legal proceedings it is must to show to prove your relationship with another party. A marriage certificate is the basic document of your marriage and to prove your marital status. 

As we stated above that the Supreme Court of India made the registration of marriage mandatory in 2006. Marriages of  Hindus, Buddhists, Jain or Sikhs or when they are converted into any of these religionscan be registered under the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955. For other religions, where either of the party or both are not Hindus, Buddhists, Jain or Sikhs the marriage can be registered under Special Marriage Act, 1954.

Under The Hindu Marriage Act, 1955:

• Fill the online form.

• Book an appointment; visit Registrar office (SRO) with 3 witnesses at the time of registration.

• Submit the application with all the required documents and get a marriage certificate.


Under The Special Marriage Act, 1954:

• Bride and Bridegroom should give a notice of intending a marriage 30 days in advance to marriage registration officer.

• No objection should be raised within these 30 days timing, Parties can appear within next 30 days of time period in front of marriage officer for solemnization with 3 witnesses. If the couple didn’t not marry within 90 days of solemnization of marriage, they will have to start the procedure again.

• Marriage office will administer the oath and solemnize the marriage by issuing the certificate

• Once the declaration and certificate is signed with parties and witness we are done with the process.


Marriage Certificate Online, one of the India’s Leading Consultancy services providing all round SOLUTIONS to your Marriage Certificate queries. We are ISO 9001:2015 Certified for Quality Services. We Offer Quality services at Affordable Cost, We Ensure complete Assistance on Documentationscheduling your online appointment at Municipal officesfollow-ups, documents check and all the process till you get your Marriage Certificate, We Makes Process Quick & Hassle Free. Our user friendly Website portal provide complete guidance & Assistance at every steps, Help in preparing your documentation, saving your time and energy & help you in getting from comfort of your home.


Why we need Marriage Certificate?

Marriages / Wedding is considered very special / respectful & Pure in India, In respective of any religion. Be it Hindu, Muslim, Sikh, Christian, Jain, Buddhist, Jews or Parsi etc. In India, we try our level best to make it memorable with arranging Marriage / Reception with gathering of Hundreds of friends & Relatives. We make sure that all get it done as per Ritual & customs, in the presence of priest etc.

Even after all these proofs & evidence, The Law will consider it valid only after civil registration of the marriage is done. Marriages will be considered Valid only if Marriages to Be Solemnized under Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 or Under Special Marriage Act, 1954.

The reason behind the marriage registration is being compulsory is to make society strong by

·        Giving both parties (husband and wife) equal rights.

·        For availing the right of heritage.

·        Restricting child marriage.

·       Avoiding the fraud cases of marriages.


Conditions for Registering Marriage:

  • If Husband Wife are of different religion then as per the act either Husband or Wife have to convert his/her religion to match the religion of another to the said marriage prior to the date of marriage. In this case if one of the parties is converting himself/herself from his/her own religion (by birth) and adopting religion of the second party then they should produce following documents (if applicable) [Any – 1] a. Affidavit of party on the stamp paper of Rs.100/- b. Self affidavit of priest/kazi on the stamp paper of Rs.100/- c. Joint declaration on stamp paper of Rs.100/-
  • Carry All Original Documents of Bride, Bridegroom & Witnesses at the Time of Appointment at Marriage Registrar Office
  • Witnesses Should Be At Least 3 Persons
  • For Bride = 18 Yrs Completed & For Bridegroom = 21 Yrs Completed
  • All Photocopies of Documents Should Be Attested By Notary/Gazeeted Officer
  • Bride’s Residence Proof Should Be Before Marriage
  • If Divorces then “Court Decree” Require
  • If Widow/Widower then “Husband/Wife Death Certficate” Require
  • Each party involved should have no other subsisting valid marriage. In other words, the resulting marriage should be monogamous for both parties
  • The parties should not fall within the degree of prohibited relationship
We also provide Witnesses at the time of Marriage Registration process in case the Applicants find it difficult to get their Witnesses on the date of the registration due to Witnesses un-availability and unable to spend more time at the registration office. The applicants should inform about this requirement well before time.

Select your state


CSC Price - 1200/-


CSC Price - 2000/-

Uttar Pradesh

CSC Price - 1800/-

Documents for the Marriage Certificate

  • Copy of Wedding Card, (If Wedding Card Not Produced Then Self Declaration Require)
  • Passport Size Photographs of Bride & Bridegroom
  • Passport Size Photographs of All 3 Witnesses
  • Nikahnama, If [In case both bride and groom are of Muslim religion Nikahnama to be produced (If Nikahnama is issued in Urdu should be translated in English by the party)]
  • Priest’s Aadhaar Card
  • Affidavit on Rs.100/- Stamp Paper
  • Ration Card
  • Election Card
  • Electricity Bill (in the name of person)
  • Telephone Bill (in the name of person)
  • Passport
  • Aadhar Card
  • Ration Card
  • Election Card
  • Electricity Bill (in the name of person)
  • Telephone Bill (in the name of person)
  • Passport
  • Aadhar Card

Procedure for Marriage Certificate

Benefits of having Marriage Certificate

Marriage Certificate is basically a Certificate given to a Married Couple after marriage registration, Its a very important document provides valuable evidence of marriage, Its a proof to certify the couple wedded legally.

Marriage Certificate can be useful in provide evidence of marriage in case of any Marriage Disputes, You can be fined for not registering your Marriage.

Applying Visa for Husband & Wife, it can be useful for adding Spouse name in Passport or Changing Name in Passport, aadhaar card, pan card, affidavits, divorce with mutual consent, Make a will, Power of attorney, voter id, etc.

Providing social security, self-confidence particularly among married women; Claiming the deposits of Bank / Life Insurance benefits when the Insurer dies without a nomination or otherwise, Property dispute legal heir.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Most frequent questions and answers

Marriages, The Second Most Wonderful Time Of The Year, Right After Christmas, Provide All Of Us A Giant Sense Of Joy And Happiness. In India, There Are Varieties Of Marriage Celebrations Depending On The Customs And Traditions Followed By The People Getting Married And Their Families, However, They All Have A Few Elements In Common. Most Wedding Celebrations Take A Couple Of Months To Plan Since There Are Some Aspects Of The Wedding That Just Cannot Be Handled Spontaneously.
Legally Speaking, It Takes About Two Months To Get A Wedding Registered In India. A Marriage Registration Certificate Is One Of The Most Important Documents A Married Couple Needs. It Makes Paperwork A Lot Easier, Especially If The Wife Is Planning On Changing Her Last Name To Match Her Husband. In India, Weddings Have To Be Registered Under One Of Two Acts, The Hindu Marriage Act Or The Special Marriage Act, Which Encompasses All Religions That Aren’t Hindus. A Lot Of Documentation Is Needed To Get This Done And It Takes Time To Process. While The Hindu Act Takes About 15 Days The Special Mariage Act Takes About 60 To Get Done. Although This Is The Worst Case Scenario, There Are Chances It Could Get Done Sooner If All Documents Are In Order And There Isn’t A Backlog.
As Far As The Planning Of A Ceremony, It’s A Much Longer Process. The First And Most Important Item On Your To-Do List Should Be Finding A Hall. Make Sure The Venue You Are Working With Is Available On The Date You Are Planning Your Wedding. If You Are Working With A Generally Popular Hall, You Might Have To Tell Them In Advance Since They Might Be Booked Up. If You Happen To Be In Goa, There Are A Lot Of Options To Pick From. Consider The Location Of The Service So Your Guests Do Not Have To Travel Too Long Between The Service And The Ceremony. The Size Of The Venue Should Be Able To Hold The People Being Invited.
When Picking The Hall, You Usually Get The Caterer And Band As Well. You Are Allowed To Pick Someone Else If You Are Looking For A Change But Would Have To Discuss It With The Venue. Although You Might Be Provided With A Band, You Have To Work Out Your Song List Depending On Preference And Do The Same With The Caterers And To Get The Right Menu.
The Second Part Would Be Picking Your Colour Theme. This Is Quite Important Since It Decides The Colour Of The Decor At The Reception And The Clothing At The Wedding. The Bridesmaids And Groomsmen Usually Were The Same Colour Theme In Some Form Or The Other, Whether The Colour Of The Dresses, Bows Or Ties. Furthermore, The Decorators Make Sure The Tables, Chairs, And Venue Match The Colour Theme.
These Are Usually The Main Concerns That Cannot Be Delegated And Have To Be Selected By The Couple Tying The Knot. The Rest Of The List Comprises Of Minor Stuff Like Making Sure Your Wife Or Husband Shows Up, Selecting The Right Shades Of Flowers, Transportation, And Similar Smaller Tasks. Don’t Forget To Finalise The Guest List And Make Sure All Invites Are Sent. Always Get Someone To Help With The Overall Coordination Since It Tends To Get Very Hectic On The Day Of The Wedding. There Are A Lot Of Moving Parts And Someone, Not Directly Connected To Everything Should Help.

Weddings Are Not Small Events Like Inviting Friends For A Dinner On A Random Evening, They Need A Lot Of Planning, And Hopefully Are A One-Time Affair That Lasts A Lifetime. Depending On The Circumstances Of A Wedding, There Are Some That Have To Be Done In A Very Short Span, Like If One Partner Has To Leave To Go To Another Country.

Here are a few things you need to know when organizing or assisting with a last-minute wedding.

Obviously, The Circumstances Of A Wedding Make The Most Difference. Marriages In India Should Be Registered Under The Hindu Marriage Act Or Special Marriage Act. Although These Are Not Compulsory Requirements, They Definitely Make The Post-Marriage Documentation A Lot Easier. However, To Get The Registration Done, It Takes Between Two Weeks To Two Months Depending On Their Backlog Of Work. Also, Account For Whether The Required Documentation Has Been Filled Out And Submitted Thoroughly. If You Feel This Is Going To Slow Down The Marriage Process, It Can Be Handled Later In The Marriage.

Getting Proof Of The Marriage And That It Took Place Is Also Very Important. You Can Get This Done Through The Documents Of Your Specific Religion. The Church, For Instance, Has Their Own Records, With A Witness, Where They Provide A Marriage Certificate As Proof That The Wedding Mass Did Take Place. Getting A Date For A Wedding Mass Might Not Take As Long As A Marriage Registration But Varies From Church To Church.

Organizing The Reception Is Only Done If You Are Within Budget, With The Right Number Of Guests, After Accounting For A Hall, Band, Food And The Rest Of The Smaller Expenses. If Relatives Are Being Invited From All Corners Of The World, Make Sure They Are Given Enough Time So They Can Book Tickets And Fly Down For The Wedding. A Reception Hall Is A Worthy Option For The Ceremony. When Finding The Right Hall Account For Its Popularity And Location And Spend Time Finding Its Availability And Whether It Can Accommodate The Crowd. Account For The Travel Time Between Both, The Service And Venue Since The Attendees To Travel.

There Have Been Multiple Instances Where Couples Don’t Have A Giant Reception After The Service, But Instead, Provide Cake And Wine And Wrap Up The Wedding. This Would Definitely Need The Least Coordination And Other Than Ordering The Cake, Can Be Handled The Fastest. The Other Alternative Is Inviting Your Close Family For A Smaller Celebration.

The Main Aspect To Remember Is That Marriage Is For Life. Even If You Are In A Hurry Initially, You Can Always Delay The Wedding To A Time Better Suited Or Have A Grander Party Eventually. People Usually Throw Giant Parties For Others To Know How Happy They Are About Getting Married. Either Way, Coordinate Thoroughly Since You Don’t Get A Second Chance At A Wedding And It’s Something That You Would Have To Live With For The Rest Of Your Life.

Mrs. Kirti Raheja since you are getting married under the Hindu laws in Mumbai, you will be governed by the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955. But since you are not married at the moment, you cannot prepare a Marriage Certificate now. But once your Marriage is solemnized, you can prepare a Marriage Certificate immediately. For further clarifications kindly contact

Mrs. Madhu Soni, I would like to tell you that mere marriage in a temple is not sufficient for preparation of a Marriage Certificate. You need to get a letter from the priest. Also a Joint declaration showing that you are married is required. You both are Hindus & you are governed by the Hindu Marriage Act. Since both of yours documents are belonging to Santacruz(E), you will be governed by Ward H(E) located in Santacruz(E). Website – for further clarifications.

Hello, Mr. Shekhar Jadhav If you do not have a Wedding Card, which I have assumed gathered from the information stated by you, you can provide a Joint declaration that you are married. A document duly signed from the priest is also important. Since both you & your spouse documents belong to Santacruz(W), you will be governed by the ward H(W) located in Bandra(w). For further clarifications kindly contact or contact our team member Sachin +91 9619009184.

If two adults wish to marry in a temple, the marriage should be solemnized according to the rituals, customs and practices under the Hindu culture. To prove such a marriage valid or legal in the eyes of law, there has to be a certificate, which is issued by the marriage registration office after going through the pictures and the statements of the witness present at the time of the marriage, other than the priest. For further info kindly contact our Website –

Mrs. Jyothi Dsouza you need to submit Aadhaar Card as a Address proof. You need to submit both of you & your husband’s Aadhaar Card. Since you are married in a Church, you need to submit the Wedding documents provided from Church. Since your documents belong to Kandivali Address, you come under Ward “R”. You can Contact our Team Member Sachin or visit our website

Mr. Raza Khan you have your Address proof related documents pertaining to Kurla & your wife is from UP. As your documents are from Kurla, Mumbai, eventhough your wifes’ documents are from UP, Marriage Certificate can be prepared from Mumbai itself. You will be coming under jurisdiction of “L”Ward. Additionally, the Nikahnaama if in Urdu needs to be translated in English, which is to be duly notarized. You can Contact our Team Member Sachin or visit our website

Mrs. Shaheen Ansari I would like to tell you that your Marriage Certificate is prepared under the Muslim laws. Also since the Certificate preparation is governed under the Special Marriage Act, 1954. It will take about 40 days for preparation of the same. Also since you & your husband documents both belong to Mahim, you are governed by G North Ward located in Dadar. You can contact our Team Member Sachin +91 8097468639 or contact our Website for further clarifications.

Marriages / Wedding is considered very special / respectful & Pure in India, In respective of any religion. Be it Hindu, Muslim, Sikh, Christian, Jain, Buddhist, Jews or Parsi etc. In India, we try our level best to make it memorable with arranging Marriage / Reception with gathering of Hundreds of friends & Relatives. We make sure that all get it done as per Ritual & customs, in the presence of priest etc.
Even after all these proofs & evidence, The Law will consider it valid only after civil registration of the marriage is done. Marriages will be considered Valid only if Marriages to Be Solemnized under Hindu Marriage Act 1955 or Under Special Marriage Act 1954 or Marriage Memorandum Under Maharashtra Regulation Marriage Bureaus And Registration Of Marriages 1998.

Yes, we provide service in all India. Since Deepa your documents of Mumbai only, you can prepare Marriage Certificate in Mumbai only .The documents of your husband belonging to Kerala does not matter in this case. For more details with regards Marriage Certificate kindly Contact : or Call 9619009184.

Yes, we do provide Marriage Certificates in case of remarriage. You only need to provide all the requisite documents apart from your Divorce Decree & Court Order. After you perform your Court Marriage, you can immediately contact us.

Firstly, the answer to your question is Yes. Our organization takes a prior appointment with the concerned authorities. For further details visit or Call Sachin: 9619009184. You need to appear along with your husband on the scheduled date. The Concerned Officer related to Marriage Certificate checks all the details, he verifies the photocopies with the originals. Also the signature & thumb impression of you, 3 witnesses is also required. In this case, since your husband documents related to bhandup, the Officer where you would be scheduled an appointment would be “S Ward”.

Any Person destroying, tampering with or dishonestly or fraudulently altering the registrar will be punished with imprisonment upto Five years and/ or fine of Rs.5 Thousand.

There is no specific charge for getting a marriage certificate, the charges differs as per the case.

You can issue the marriage certificate from the new city as well just insure that you have to have residential proof of at least 1 month of the new address along with the address of the bride before marriage.

As of now there is no provision for Late Fees in many states, some states has Rs 250 per year penalty for late registration. As per Supreme Court order for registration of marriage need to be done within 60 days.

Till the couple remains in the relationship the marriage certificate is valid.

In Case both the parties are Muslim in religion and Nikahnama is in Urdu it needed to be translated in English.

Marriage between two people of different religions is growing every day, as new generation is looking beyond their faith. If husband or wife is converting himself or herself and adopting religion of spouse, they should provide the documents which gives information about their conversion. That marriage will be register under Special Marriage Act 1954.

Provide the correct documents, which should specify the correct information of you and your spouse like – Name, Address, Age, Religion, Marital Status, Marriage Location, Date of Marriage, etc.

There is no need to pay hefty amount just Apply with an application to same register office where you have already registered your certificate.

Till date under law it is illegal to marry two wives if you are Hindu in India from 1956 but for Hindus in Goa, polygamy is legally approved. According to Hindu Marriage Act it is not allowed to go with second marriage unless you got divorce paper from the First spouse. For Muslims men, it is allowed to marry with four women.

Yes, Marriage Registration has been made compulsory by the govt. It is necessary to uphold the sanctity of the Marriage and to have it legally recognized.

A traditional marriage done with the customs of different religions is legal in India. Though, it is also mandatory to register it.

Applicants can approach the office of the Sub Divisional Magistrate to register the marriage. Applicants can contact the jurisdiction of district where marriage has taken place or where either of the spouses stayed for at least six months before the marriage.

Applicants can register the marriage based on the following two acts;
Hindu Marriage Act: This act implies on the brides and grooms belong to Hindu, Jain, Buddhist and Sikh religions. In case either party does not belong to the above mentioned religion, they will have to show conversion document to the officer to get the marriage certificate.
Special Marriage Act: Under this act, all those couples can get the marriage certificate who belongs to other religions as mentioned here. If any of the parties do not belong to same religion as the other then he/she will have to show conversion certificate.  To register the marriage under this act the registration is done in 30 days after showing it on notice board of the office and sends it to the residence of both of the parties. In case no objection is received in 30  days then the marriage certificate can be issued.

Indians can marry any foreigner. They can get the marriage certificate under, the Foreign Marriage Act, 1969.

If the concerned officer refuses to issue the certificate of marriage despite showing all the documents then both or any one of the parties can appeal to the District Court for the certificate. This appeal should be done within 30 days of the proposed marriage. The decision of the District Court will be final and binding for the marriage registration.

If the first wife of the person is alive and he has married again and gets the marriage certificate as well then the second wife has the right to apply to the court to consider the wedding and void. If both the women feel cheated by the husband then they both can take legal help and first wife can apply for divorce as well.

If two adults want to get married in the temple solemnized according to the rituals, customs and practices under the Hindu culture then this wedding will be legal. They can get the marriage certificate on showing proves of their marriage solemnized in temple. It is a must that there will be three or witnesses of the wedding other than the priest.

Your marriage is still valid, so you will have to go through the divorce process as prescribed by law.

After registration of marriage, marriage certificate is issued. The marriage certificate is the conclusive proof of your marriage

The marriage certificate useful for:

  • Applying for dependent VISA or passport
  • Opening of joint bank account after marriage
  • In the unfortunate circumstance of your spouse passing away without nomination, it can be used to claim deposits in bank, insurance benefits, provident fund claims, and gratuity claims etc.

Yes, absence of marriage registration does not invalidate your marriage.

You can get your marriage registered at the office of the Sub-Divisional Magistrate (marriage officer) under whose jurisdiction (location of marriage) the marriage has been solemnized. You can also get the marriage registered at the office of the SDM within whose jurisdiction either husband or wife is residing.

You can apply for marriage registration online. After submitting your online application, a date will be fixed. You and your partner along with witnesses and all required documents will have to go to the office of the marriage officer on the fixed date to get the marriage registered. Upon registration of marriage, your marriage certificate will be issued.
At ClickDocs, we have a pool of Marriage Registration experts who are well versed with the process. We will make the entire process a breeze for you by taking care of all formalities. We will draft and submit your application, help you in preparation and finalization of documents, prepare draft affidavit and get it notarized, and undertake all ancillary matters related to the process of Marriage Registration for you.

The State Governments have been authorized to prescribe fees for registration of marriages. Therefore, the fees for marriage registration are different for each state.

Generally, you will get an appointment for registration of marriage within 10-15 days of submission of application form. On the date fixed, you and your partner along with two witnesses will be required to be present at the office of the Sub-Divisional Magistrate to sign documents and get the marriage registered. After registration of marriage, marriage certificate is issued on the same date. However, if required, ClickDocs’s Expert will request for a date which is convenient to both you and your partner. On the fixed date, the marriage will be registered and certificate will be issued.

Marriages are registered by the Sub-Divisional Magistrate of the area where the marriage took place or where either of the spouses stayed for at least six months before the marriage.

You can check the status of your marriage registration online through the website of the Municipal Corporation or municipal council of the district in which application has been filed. You can track the status by using the application number.

Any person who has attended the marriage and has an identity proof and a proof of residence can be present as a witness to the marriage.

For the registration of a marriage, one has to approach the office of the Sub Divisional Magistrate under whose jurisdiction the marriage has taken place or where either of the spouses stayed for at least six months before the marriage.

  1. Hindu Marriage Act

After due verification of all the documents that have been submitted by the parties, for the concluding process, a day is fixed for the registration which is communicated to the parties. Both the parties are required to be present on the said day before the Sub-Divisional Magistrate, along with the Gazetted Officer who attended their marriage,

After all, the marriage registration process is done, and the SDM is satisfied with the proceedings, the certificate is granted on the same day.

  1. Special Marriage Act

For commencing the marriage registration process of marriage registration under this Act, and even before submitting the above-mentioned documents, both parties have to give a 30-day notice to the sub-registrar in whose jurisdiction at least one spouse has resided.

Both parties are required to be present after the submission of the documents for the issuance of public notice inviting objections. One copy of the notice is posted on the notice board of the office and another copy of the notice is sent via registered post to both the parties as per the address was given by them.

The registration is done 30 days after the date of the notice, after deciding any objection that may have been received during the said period by the SDM. Both the parties along with three witnesses are required to be present on the date of registration.

There are no laws in India that prohibit an Indian from marrying a foreigner in India.
Undoubtedly, both must be legal of a sound mind and competent enough to marry. The Special Marriage Act, 1954 is applicable where an Indian and a foreigner intend to marry in India. But on the other hand, when an Indian intends to marry in any other country, the Foreign Marriage Act, 1969 is applicable.
Therefore, it can be inferred that a marriage between an Indian and a foreigner is a civil marriage. In such a scenario, first of all, a No Impediment Certificate/NOC from concerned the Embassy and valid VISA is required. All other documents and the procedures to comply with are the same as any other civil marriage performed under the Special Marriage Act, 1954.

Although the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 and the Special Marriage Act, 1954 are the two main legislation governing the process of solemnization and registration of marriage in India, there is certain other legislation enacted to oversee the process of marriage solemnization and marriage registration between certain minority religions that are present in India.

For instance, the Christians and the Parsi community –

These minority religions are not covered under either of the two primary legislation but are given equal treatment and hence it was very essential for the Indian legislature to frame laws in this regard.

All Christian marriages in India are governed by the Indian Christian Marriage Act, 1872, which provides for the solemnization of marriage either by a minister or by a priest of the church.

A Marriage under the Parsi Marriage Act can be registered in the Office of the District Registrar under whose jurisdiction the marriage takes place. The Act considers the marriage unlawful under certain conditions laid down in Sec. 4, that says-

“No Parsi (whether such a Parsi has changed his or her religion or domicile or not) will contract any marriage under this Act or any other law in the lifetime of his or her wife or husband, whether a Parsi or not, except after his or her lawful divorce from such wife or husband or after his or her marriage with such wife or husband has lawfully been declared null and void or dissolved, and, if the marriage was contracted with such wife or husband under the Parsi Marriage and Divorce Act, 1865 or under this Act, except after a divorce, declaration or dissolution as aforesaid under either of the said Acts”.

Any marriage performed in contradiction of this provision stands void.

According to this Act:
  1. A Parsi priest solemnizes the marriage.
  2. The signatures of both the bride and the bridegroom are required along with signatures of three witnesses to issue a certificate of marriage.
  3. The certificate needs to be sent to the Marriage Officer for registration along with the prescribed fee.
  4. The parties mustn’t fall under the ‘Degree of prohibited relationship’ laid down by Sec. 53.

The marriage registration laws in India have witnessed certain recent developments.

Several issues have also developed in the application of laws regarding the Rights of Second Wife under a Hindu marriage. In the absence of a legal position of the bigamy relationship under the Hindu law or any guidelines in this regard, the situation becomes very depressing and stressful for the women.

When both the women feel cheated by the husband:-

In a scenario like this, it is very important to know that the second marriage is illegal under Hindu law if the first spouse is living. But, it must also be seen that such a relationship that reflects the image of the second wife as a victim who wasn’t aware of her husband’s actions and thus she should not be made to suffer.

If the marriage is solemnized in the state of Jammu & Kashmir [ J&k ], the parties to the marriage are considered to be the Indian citizens-domiciled in the territories to which the Special Marriage Act extends.

The marriage officer is duty-bound to display the notice of the intended marriage, by affixing a copy to some conspicuous place in his office.

In case the marriage officer refuses to solemnize the proposed marriage between the two parties, then within thirty days of the proposed marriage, either party can appeal to the District Court – inside the local limits of whose jurisdiction the marriage officer has his office.
The decision of the District Court, regarding the solemnization of the proposed marriage, will be final and binding.

In a scenario like this, the marriage should be solemnized according to the rituals, customs, and practices under the Hindu culture. To prove such a marriage valid or legal in the eyes of law, there has to be a certificate, which is issued by the marriage registration office after going through the pictures and the statements of the witness present at the time of the marriage, other than the priest.

If the parties are Hindus (or they have converted to Hinduism), they can also opt for a marriage in the Arya Samaj Mandir.
This marriage is solemnized by the Arya Samaj Mandir following the Hindu customs and rituals and religious practices, after inspection of the required documents affirming the age and the consent of the parties.
Even if the marriage is solemnized by the Arya Samaj Mandir authorities, the parties still have to get the marriage registered by the Registrar. The registrar will go through the marriage registration process of checking the photographs, documents and the witnesses of the marriage before issuing the certificate.

In 2012, the Indian Parliament passed a law, allowing Sikhs to register their marriage under the Anand Marriage (Amendment) Act, 2012[35]. The Anand Marriage Act was passed in 1909. There was no provision for the registration of marriages which were registered under the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955. Generally, Gurudwara is chosen for marriage.
A Gurudwara which is recognized has strict rules. Wherein the duly notarized affidavits of both the parties who should be Sikh by religion are taken before the marriage. There is even a demand that parents of both sides should be present for a proper Sikh Marriage ceremony. It is also known as Anand Karaj. There are also terms and conditions as per register marriage rules to be followed.